This is a list of documents, videos, and other resources to support learning about and use of DCI.
Many of the resources are on this site; many can be found elsewhere on the web.
- Trygve Reenskaug. "Working with objects. A three-model architecture for the analysis of information systems", October 1995. The presentation discusses advanced role modeling. It would be fun to implement this example with its databases and end user tools using DCI. The old example illustrates the merging of object oriented technology with the well established data base technology in a third generation client server architecture. The architecture is based on three kinds of models: information models, organization model, and tool model. 1995.
- Reenskaug, Trygve.
with Objects: The OORAM Software Engineering Method.
- Coplien, James, and Kevlin Henney. Agile Architecture is not Fragile Architecture. QCon London, 10 June, 2008. (Video.)
- Knopper, Henrik. The Power of Form, 30 September 2008. (In Danish.)
- Sönder, Peter. JaOO 2008: tirsdag (dag #2). 30 September 2008. (In Danish.)
- Jensen, Rolf Njør. Object Oriented Architecture As It Should Have Been Agile Architecture. September 30, 2008.
- Reher, Jan. Impressions from JAOO 2008, 2 October, 2008.
- Lund, Søren Spelling. JAOO 2008 Day 2. October 3, 2008.
- Kübeck, Sebastian, Not your Grandfather's Architecture, 14 October, 2008.
- Reenskaug, Trygve. The DCI Paradigm Implemented in Squeak, 23 October 2008. Report. (11pp). For the systems programmer.
- Reenskaug, Trygve. Comments on the essential mechanisms for DCI implementations, 4 December 2008. Report. (5pp). For the systems programmer.
- Coplien, James. Video Interview about DCI. (video interview), 20 December 2008.
- Coplien, James. Handling Architecture in an Agile World (video tutorial), 4 March 2009.
- Reenskaug, Trygve and James O. Coplien. The DCI Architecture:
A New Vision of Object-Oriented Programming. 20 March 2009.
- Reenskaug, Trygve, and James O. Coplien.
The DCI Architecture: A New Vision of Object-Oriented Programming.
The original article by Trygve and Cope on artima.com. 20 March 2009.
- Reenskaug, Trygve. The
Common Sense of Object Oriented Programming. April 2009.
- Reenskaug, Trygve. "DCI: Re-thinking the foundations of object orientation and of programming", November 2009. Also on video.
- Coplien, The DCI Architecture: Supporting the Agile Agenda in your Software Architecture. Öredev 2009, 6 November 2009.
- Reenskaug, Trygve. DCI: Re-thinking the foundations of object orientation and of programming, Øredev Developer Conference, 6 November, 2009, Malmö, Sweden. (Video.)
- --, Procedural, class-oriented, role-driven: history of programming in 80 minutes, 6 November 2009.
- Kurth, Lars. Not your Grandfather's OO: Data Context Interaction, 11 November 2009.
- Coplien, James. The DCI Architecture: Supporting the Agile Agenda in your Software Architecture, November 1999. Also on video.
- Rickard Öberg, DCI in Practice. November 2009. (Video.)
- Coplien, James. Lean and Agile and the Matter of Architecture. Lean Magazine, Issue 5, January 2010.
- Rickard Öberg. Stuck in the Middle: Implementing DCI in Qi4J. 14 March 2010.
- Marø, Torbjorn, DCI arkitekturen, 18 March, 2010. (In Norwegian.)
- Kübeck, Sebastian, Jim Coplien: Why DCI is the Right Architecture for Right Now. 3 June 2010.
- Coplien, James and Gertrud Bjørnvig. Lean
Architecture for Agile Software Development: Building Software as if people mattered.
July 2010. To date, probably the best definitive reference on the how-tos of DCI, covering implementations in a small number of popular programming languages.
- Reenskaug, Trygve. The
Roots of DCI. July 2010. Distributed computing, object
orientation, MVC, role modeling, readable code, end user mental model, DCI.
- Coplien, James. Restoring Function and Form to Patterns: DCI as Agile's Expression of Architecture. Software Architect 2010, London, October 2010. This talk uses Alexandrian patterns as a metaphor to discuss the issue of form in design, and to illustrate that DCI is indeed an architectural paradigm — that concerns itself with the form of function. In the end, it shows that patterns actually have the same grounding.
- Reenskaug, Trygve. Models and Reality: Master Program Execution with DCI, 13 November 2010. Webtalk to UML China.
- Coplien, James O.
Objects of the People, By the People, and For the People.
AOSD Heart of Technology Lecture and Keynote,
28-29 March 2012, Potsdam, Germany.
- Coplien, James. Heart of Technology: DCI, Conference on Aspect-Oriented Programming, Berlin, 28 March 2012. (Video.) An inspirational keynote introducing DCI to the Aspects crowd.
- Coplien, James. Objects of the people, by the people, and for the people. Keynote, Conference on Aspect-Oriented Programming, Berlin, 29 March 2012. (Video.)
- Coplien, James. The DCI Architecture, 2012. G&C's landing page to introduce its involvement with DCI and to more broadly connect people with other DCI resources. The prose on this page is a nice overview, but most of the resources have been copied here to fulloo.info.
- Reenskaug, Trygve. DCI
Execution Model. May 2012. A disciplined description of the DCI computational model.
- Free Variable. DCI and Programming with Interfaces, 14 June, 2012.
- Coplien, James. Reflections on Reflection. Keynote, SPLASH 23 October, 2012. (Video.) An overview of reflection, touching on why it has gone wrong, but why it is nonetheless the foundation of object-oriented programming (even the vanilla kind) and how DCI refines the reflection model to be more in line with safe code, practical needs, and human mental models.
- Reenskaug, Trygve, DCI-Glossary. April 2013. The official standard lexicon for the components of DCI, and how it regards terms in common use.
- --, Wikipedia, Data, Context and Interaction. June 2013. An important benchmark in creating an "official definition" of DCI (now superceded by "DCI as a New Foundation for Computer Programming").
- Gay, Jim. Clean Ruby. To be published. Ca. 2013.
See: http://www.clean-ruby.com. The Ruby programmer's guide to all the practical aspects of DCI programming.
- Reenskaug, Trygve, and James O. Coplien. The DCI Paradigm: Taking Object Orientation Into the Architecture World. Agile Software Architecture, Elsevier, December 2013. A look at DCI as an architectural metaphor through the eyes of history and the brodaer evolution of world thought.
- Andrzej Krzywda. The Four Architectures that will Inspire Your Programming. DZone, 24 December, 2013. Heralds DCI as "the future of progrmaming" and as one of the four most exciting architetural innovations in use today.
- Janne Sinivirta. All Hands on Deck — Introduction to Lean Architecture. Scan Agile 2013, Agile Finland, 14 January 2014. (Video; slides.)
- Gay, Jim. It's Business Time! At DCI in Ruby in Rails, ed. Mike Cheverda. (Video.)
- Trygve Reenskaug and James O. Coplien:
Working with objects — in computer and mind. 26 Jan. 2014.
Draft article, comments welcome.